Direct Dial: 020 7583 5040 EMAIL David
David Truex has practised family law for over 40 years. He has been at the forefront of family law reform, acting as an advisor to governments in Australia and the United Kingdom.
The first family law mediation scheme in Australia was devised and implemented by him and he also helped to initiate the first lawyer specialist accreditation programmes in Australia and England. He is regularly retained as an expert witness on Australian, English and international family law.
He is a past chairman of the International Committee of the Solicitors’ Family Law Association and is currently an international consultant to the World Congress on Family Law and Children’s Rights. David has presented papers at family law conferences in Australia, England, USA, Ireland, Germany and Italy.
He can work in (rudimentary) French and German.
Qualifications / Specialties:
Qualified as a lawyer in Australia (1974) and England and Wales (1990).
David Truex is an expert in complex family cross-border litigation, often involving disputes over jurisdiction and forum shopping. He fights to secure the best jurisdiction for his client. Most of his litigation is conducted in the London family courts although he is frequently instructed to advise other lawyers in England and overseas on international issues. He has been involved in several of the most significant reported cases defining the limits of English family law jurisdiction.
Notable Cases / Case Studies:
Some of the noteworthy cases in which David Truex has been involved in include:
- KAC v DJC  EWHC 292 (Fam) [www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Fam/2013/292.html]
- K v K  EWHC 1876 (Fam) [www.bailii.org]
- Re R (Abduction: Habitual Residence)  1 FLR 216 [www.bailii.org]
- Wermuth v Wermuth (No 1)  1 FLR 1022 [www.bailii.org]
- Wermuth v Wermuth (No 2)  1 FLR 1029 [www.bailii.org]
- Wehmeyer v Wehmeyer  2 FLR 84 [www.bailii.org]
- Re W; Re B (Child Abduction: Unmarried Father)  2 FLR 146 [www.bailii.org]
- Re O (Abduction: Consent and Acquiescence)  1 FLR 924 [www.bailii.org]
- Re B (A Minor) (Abduction)  2 FLR 249 [www.bailii.org]<
- Re A (Minors) (Abduction: Acquiescence)  2 FLR 14 [www.bailii.org]
- V v B (A Minor) (Abduction)  1 FLR 266 [www.bailii.org]
Publication / Articles:
David regularly publishes articles, case summaries, conference papers and commentary about international family law in journals and on his website www.internationalfamilylaw.com to provide assistance to other lawyers and members of the public.
The site also provides links to the best web resources on the subject from around the world.
“David Truex is obviously extremely switched on, fights his client’s corner well [and] what he does, he does better than anyone else.”
Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession
Mostyn J “astonished” by David’s expert evidence: “I am very grateful for the extremely efficient and thorough service which he provided for the parties at very short notice”.
Reported in KAC and DJC [sub nom TC and JC (Children: Relocation)]  EWHC 292 (Fam), at para 21 (21 February 2013).